Kid’s skin is flawless but that too eventually calls for special attention in their care and nourishment with an added responsibility of being considerate and vigilant while attending them. Although to kids we have to teach them everything from proper hand washing to flossing teeth. The importance of healthy skincare habits should also be part of the conversation because personal care is a big part of personal hygiene.
However, we are always more worried about what to choose for our baby’s delicate skin, that will not harm them. And most of us are unaware of when should we start buying skincare for kids? What ingredients should you avoid in kids skincare?
Although the parents tend to push their kids to play outdoors because it has so many health benefits but we can’t forget the sun’s ultraviolet rays can damage the skin in as little as 15 minutes, after all, and just a few serious sunburns can increase a child’s risk of skin cancer later in life. Read on for some recommended precautions that must be taken for the kids.
Ways to protect children from the sun:
- Avoid high-intensity hours: The best defence against the sun’s damaging rays is avoidance. Have children play in the shade and avoid exposure to the sun’s strongest rays of the day, usually between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. If in direct sunlight, protect skin with a hat and lightweight, long-sleeved clothes.
- Be SPF smart: The higher the SPF, the more protection it provides. Your child’s skin is different from yours and requires a different level of care. So for best protection, make sure that you purchase and apple specially formulated sunscreen creams for kids that contain zinc oxide or titanium dioxide with an SPF rating of 30 or above.
- Use lotion instead of the spray: While any form of sun protection is better than none, lotion generally provides a thicker and more even coating on the skin, giving more protection. Also, the inhalation of spray sunscreen has become a recent concern, and it should never be sprayed or worn near a flame, as it may contain flammable ingredients such as alcohol.
- Slather sunscreen on all skin tones: While it is true that people with dark skin tone are not as great a risk of sunburn as those with lighter skin, everyone benefits from the protection of sunscreen.
- Keep infants covered: Babies of age 6 months and younger are thought to be even more susceptible to the sun’s damaging rays. Avoidance and covering up are the primary recommendations for them at all times.
- Use protective eyewear: Everyone’s eyes will benefit from the protection offered by sunglasses. Make sure you wear a pair with at least 97 per cent protection against both UVA rays (the one that causes spots, wrinkles and possibly skin cancer ) and UVB rays ( which leads to sunburns and skin cancer).
- Clothing: Make sure that your kid’s clothes are not too tight and very light cotton fabric. Cotton is one of the most breathable fabrics found suitable for the summer season which helps to absorb excessive sweat.
- Use of talcum powder: summer can also give prickly heat rash to your kids. Hence, to avoid this rash its essential that you apply powder on their body parts that are more prone to sweat like armpits, back, neck, etc. Look for prickly heat powders.
- Hydration: Feeding them enough water is essential to keep the kid’s skin healthy and prevents any health problems. So make them carry their water bottles everywhere.